Saturday 5 January 2013

Bee Eye See Why See Elle EE


B.I.C.Y.C.L.E 

I've always been afraid of heights and moving things, whether they're moving towards me, near me or with me, specially with me! My mother's bouncy lap, my rocking cradle, swings, cars , a ball rolling to me, a toy car, an ant...etc . As I aged I overcame most of those fears but one, my fear of riding a bicycle.

There was always a bicycle around, tempting and flashy, always someone ready to take me on a ride and teach me how to enjoy this rather essential part of childhood, I was always too scared to try, I'd ring it's bell, wax it's rims and wash it's tyres and if I go on a ride with someone, I'd be sitting at the back, ready to jump out the minute it got wobbly, I thought that joy was never worth the risk of a scraped knee or a scratched elbow...

One day, I saw a bicycle that seemed like no other, almost like it was made for me, bright green like the dress of a generous farm , glimmering under the pilfered sun rays sifting through a beautiful big oak, standing proudly so close to the river as if checking its alluring reflection on water.  I was drawn to it, I got close, I admired it and my heart jumped at the thought of giving it a try, it was too beautiful to let pass. The thought grew so intense my heart was in my throat, I made the decision to give it a try , give it my all, my 100% effort and determination, zero caution and absolute impulse! Excited as I was, he fixed his grips on the bicycle , with a smile as if he had clutched a peace of heaven , he promised not to let go, I trusted him.


The  bicycle started moving fast at fir.st, it felt liberating, it felt right!  It slowed down , my legs were getting sore, I peddled harder but instead of going faster, the bicycle started to get wobbly and in the middle of that I realized he had let go of it I was on my own, I panicked. I tried to peddle but it only tipped the bicycle over and right into water. My clothes got wet, I put on a brave face and walked out of the water and joined everyone else who tried to comfort me while I constantly assured them I was alright. My clothes dried , life went on and that incident became a story, a story that breaks my heart every time I remembered it because even today as an adult I don't dare come near a bicycle, and I know for a fact that even if I saw a bicycle that catches my eye, my caution will always get in the way

No comments:

Post a Comment